Copy Selected Variable
Locate any categorical, numerical or date variable. Press the button ‘New Variable’à‘Copy Selected Variable’ and produce a copy.
All copied variables are derived variables and the will by default be given the same name ‘Copy of ‘+ name of the parent variable’.
- Categorical: each category is defined by a formula referring to the parent
- Numerical: the variable is defined by a formula = the parent value
- Date: the variable is defined by a formula = the parent value
Based on the copied variable we can now start adjusting the copy variables – for example:
- Categorical: add extra categories, merge categories, add NET, adjust formulas related to the categories
- Numerical: adjust the formula – for example divide/multiply by a fixed number, add with another numerical variable etc.
- Date: adjust the formula – for example add a number. For example, add ‘365’ to the formula, and produce a new derived Date-Year variable all categories would be +1 year.